help-tar

[Help-tar] What is wrong with tar with magnetic tapes ?

From: Luiz Emediato
Subject: [Help-tar] What is wrong with tar with magnetic tapes ?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 00:03:42 -0300

Hi there,

I have been using tar archiver for more than 20 years.
A year ago I decided to list the contents of a magnetic tape
made in 2002. At that time I used tar program provided by
Debian. The contents came out with no problem at all.
I repeated the process a few time as per the following:
  tar -xvvf /dev/nst0
and everything worked just fine.
Today I try to list the contents again and I am getting the
following error:

address@hidden:~# tar -xvvf /dev/nst0
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

I have changed the magnetics tapes and also changed the
unit unsuccessfully.
I have also tried to compile old versions of tar with no luck.
What is wrong ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Luiz