Re: Cross-reference for a non-English book

From: Daniel Cerqueira
Subject: Re: Cross-reference for a non-English book
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:00:24 +0000

Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 07:04:52PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 02:48:17PM +0000, Daniel Cerqueira wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I am writing a info book in Portuguese (@documentlanguage pt). The book
>> > is totally in Portuguese, except that when I do a cross-reference with
>> > @ref , it is adding the text "see ..." before my cross-reference.
>>
>> Which output format are you generating?

I am generating info file output (a info book).

> I wonder if the issue is that it is an Info file that is being displayed
> in Emacs, and Emacs is displaying "*note" as "see".  For the other output
> formats, @ref would not generate the word "see" (only @pxref might do that,
> and @xref would generate "See").
>
> See documentation of "Info-hide-note-references" in the Emacs manual.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/info/Emacs-Info-Variables.html#index-Info_002dhide_002dnote_002dreferences

Yes Gavin, the problems seems to be with Emacs.

I have set (setq Info-hide-note-references 'hide) and now things are
better. Thanks for your help.

Problem solved.

Have a great night.

PS:
I hate when programs try to be smart, like Emacs was trying to be.
Because, then I need to bother people with specialized knowleadge, when
this thing should be solved by me picking up the source code and doing
some modification. Emacs is doing wrong in this regard, because Emacs
should not change the info file output.