howto-kickstart

[Howto-kickstart] genhdlist for redhat 7.1

From: Peter Cummmings
Subject: [Howto-kickstart] genhdlist for redhat 7.1
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:44:54 -0400

Hi,

I am a system administrator for the mathematics department at the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.  I maintain several dozen
redhat workstations, and upgrade/install them via nfs using
the kickstart method.

I am currently trying to implement an nfs kickstart for 7.1, but
discovered a problem after I incorporated the updated RPMS into
the distribution.   For previous versions of redhat, I used the
"genhdlist" utility which was included with the distribution (in
6.2, it was in the directory i386/misc/src/anaconda/utils) to
update the hdlist file (which, in 6.2, resides in i386/base).
I also used genhdlist to update the hdlist when I created
customized package groups in the comps file.

The hdlist file is still used in 7.1, but the genhdlist utility is
not included with the distribution of 7.1, and the genhdlist
which is included with 6.2 cannot be used with 7.1.  The
Kickstart HOWTO with 7.1 is out of date, and refers to files
and directories which do not exist in the 7.1 distribution.
Does anyone know how to update the hdlist once the comps file
or the contents of the RPMS directory have changed?

Thanks,

peter

--
Peter Cummings  <address@hidden> Systems Administrator
Department of Mathematics               University of Tennessee Knoxville