howto-kickstart

[Howto-kickstart] paltry

From: Paddy Perez
Subject: [Howto-kickstart] paltry
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:25:41 -0400

His words issue pressed, condensed, enduring. All excesses beyond that norm are vanity. I am ready now tojoin men and women on the stairs, my peers. They swept the beach with steel blue and diamond-tippedwater. I feel a thousandcapacities spring up in me. Here was the boss of a chair; here the bulk of a cupboard. But it is only aservant, bringing glasses. I shall edge behind them, said Rhoda, as if I saw someone Iknow. To speak, about wine even to the waiter,is to bring about an explosion. Each time the door opens I am interrupted. There are nolights in any of these houses. Ihave seen the door open and shut twenty times already; each timethe suspense sharpens. The only people in the streets are poorpeople hurrying. It is astigma burnt on my quivering flesh by a cowled man with a red-hotiron. Now let us say, brutally and directly, what is in our minds, saidNeville. Down from our heads veils fell, said Rhoda. Are we not lovely sitting together here, I in my satin; he in blackand white? I am conscious offlux, of disorder; of annihilation and despair. His hair is untidy, but he does not know it. Night has wheeled a little further over the chimney-pots. The sheepgather in the middle of the field. I think also that our bodies are in truth naked. He mixes the salad with his own hands for someprivileged guest. They tapped furiously, methodically,until the shell broke and something slimy oozed from the crack. Draughts of oblivion shall quench my agitation. They swooped suddenlyfrom the lilac bough or the fence. Each time the door opens I am interrupted. O come, I say to this one, rippling gold from head toheels. I pick ablue flower and fix it, standing on tiptoe to reach him, in hiscoat. The authentics, likeLouis, like Rhoda, exist most completely in solitude. I am conscious offlux, of disorder; of annihilation and despair. Now I think, next time it opensthe whole of my life will be changed. I am numbed to tolerance and acquiescence. They toss their pictures once paintedface downward on the field. I pick ablue flower and fix it, standing on tiptoe to reach him, in hiscoat. The case is handsome; but it blocks up thehall. Bells rang punctually, said Susan, maids scuffled and giggled.