info-gnus-english

Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup

From: Lars-Johan Liman
Subject: Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 11:01:15 +0100

Hi!

husain@alshehhi.io 2023-12-30 10:41 [-0600]:
> When gnus starts (M-x gnus), it automatically get new news. This is a
> reasonable default. But when I start gnus multiple times to look up a
> message, I have to wait few seconds for it to start. Is there a way to
> prevent gnus to get new news at startup time, and only do it manually?

I usually start Gnus with M-x gnus-unplugged when I don't want to
contact any servers at startup.

The drawback is that once Gnus is up, it's important to run
gnus-agent-toggle-plugged (keys "J J") from the Groups menu. That will
put Gnus back in normal mode (without downloading new messages). If one
doesn't toggle back, Gnus will remain in off-line mode, which includes
just queueing outgoing mail in nndraft:queue, and they will _NOT_ be
sent automagically when one toggles back to on-line mode. One has to do
that manually (i.e., go to that folder an issue "D S"
(send-all-messages, or some such)), which is very easy to forget, in
which case one's messages will remain unsent until the dusk of eternity.
;-)

                                Best regards,
                                  /Liman