info-xnee

Re: [Info-xnee] Xnee and cygwin (+synchronisation)

From: Serg Belokamen
Subject: Re: [Info-xnee] Xnee and cygwin (+synchronisation)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:13:05 +1000

Hi All,

Soon after I sent the email I got Xnee working on Cygwin. GUI (gnee) client has more issues then I have time to list (on Cygwin anyway) however CLI applications work as expected which is great.

So now for the next question, synchronisation.

Lets say I have a recorded a session:

xterm
<NEW WINDOW>
ping -n 5 HOST
ls -al

Now lets assume that ping 1 and 2 were okay, but pings 3, 4 and 5 start to timeout and thus take longer then time set in the recorded session. This will cause "ls" to run prematurely and then continue with "pings". Essentially a race condition between 2 apps., so in reality synchronisation is lost.

Is there a way to monitor those events. For example, take an alternative course of action if instead of expected "data input" we get an error dialog or anything else that is not expected.

  Thanks,
     Serg

Henrik Sandklef wrote:

Hi

Before we carry on, I wish to switch to another mailing list (bug-xnee)
instead but crosspost to both to keep track...

I have heard that Xnee is working on top of Cygwin + X (Xfree86). A
number of things can go wrong though.... After this mail, please use
bug-xnee only.

First,
---------
check if RECORD extension is enabled in your X server?
To do this, execute xpdyinfo (in a terminal window, e.g xterm or
gnome-terminal)  and you'll see (among other things) the extension(s)
enabled in your server.

Secondly, -----------
what goes wrong?
1) compilation
2) linking 3) executing record
4) executing replay

In either case, send us the printout of what goes wrong, examples
(numbering as in the above)
1 + 2) make 2>make.err 1> make.out
3 + 4) cnee <your args> 1>xnee.out 2>xnee.err

And now, the last question
What version of Xnee/OS/Cygwin are you using?

br, hesa