info-xnee

Re: [Info-xnee] xnee problems

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Info-xnee] xnee problems
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:37:34 +0200

anguis fragilis skrev:
> I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to do stuff
> with xnee. All attempts failed.

> 1) Look for buttons in the applications menu. Didn't find any.

Applications menu of/for/from what?

> 2) Read the website. Cool! you made gnee for people like me. ok. Where is it?
> I typed gnee in the terminal and obviously such a command didn't exist.
> great. do it the old fashioned way then. I'll try the terminal instead.

> 3) RTFM. Been there, done that. Manual says:

What version/date of the manual are you reading?

> cnee --record -o example2.xnr --device-event-range 2-3 \'
> `--time 5 --events-to-record 20'
>
> terminal replies:
> bash: cnee: command not found

Can you describe what you did before you describe what doesn't work?
What version of Xnee are you using?
What OS are you using?

> 4) Read on and improvise. I replaced cnee with xnee.

I figure you're using xnee in Debian/Ubuntu?
If so, those packages are old.

There is work going trying to update them.

> It works  much better, however some commands in the manual don't seem to
> exist in the program. It just displays the --help info.
>
> 5) Read other stuff
> faq, manual, --help. Still pretty much the same. With this I actually managed
> to record something. However as soon as I do something rocordable, xnee says:
> Error recevied.... on display=5404592 and that's as far as I got.
>
> I have tried because I really want this to work. There aren't that many
> non-graphical programs that I actually managed to use, so getting gnee up and
> runnign would probably solve everything.
>
> I'm using ubuntu with xfce installed on it later on. My ubuntu is 64  bit, so
> I will not be shocked to hear if a program can't be installed or run. It
> happens all the time. I installed xnee by using sympatic.

Ahh,,,... Ubuntu. So I guess you downloaded using an apt tool. This
means you're running xnee 1.08.

Gnu Xnee is now at version 3.01