kportage-dev

Re: [kportage-dev] kportage development inquiry

From: Sebastian Kratzert
Subject: Re: [kportage-dev] kportage development inquiry
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:48:57 +0100

Hi,

Am Montag, 26. Januar 2004 09:40 schrieb Eric Laffoon:

> Hi,
> I have really enjoyed using kportage in the past, but it seems pretty
> broken right now. The root of the problem seems to be it's inability to
> deal with console requests to change the title bar. Of course there are
> other things that would probably be useful and also I'm not expert on
> portage nor do I have a lot of time to follow all the changes. I started
> using Gentoo with portage in the console, but kportage grew on me. Now I
> realize that that it is just too nice, even though there are some
> frustrations, though they may be partly with portage it's self.

Nice to hear that someone still uses our rather hackish piece of code. ;)
I would very appreciate every activity on kportage, because i haven't enough
time myself.

> I'm not really flush with spare time running the Quanta project so I can't
> do anything revolutionary with it. We are behind on our child projects like
> Kommander. I can at least get it working and release it. I could also
> possibly do some small UI enhancements to it. Many of our developers and
> users use Gentoo and would appreciate this.

Nice to hear that!

> I see that you are no longer offering a package for download. Is CVS more
> up to date?

CVS has a few small fixes, as far as i remember. But it has also a few
unfinished and broken changes.
Last time i worked on it, i tried to implement masking on the fly and a better
searching.
Another thing i wanted to do was simplifying the functionality to only a few
core features of emerge, because in the past it was very annoying to keep up
with the ever growing number of features "emerge" has.
At last, the most annoying part was handling the output of the varyous shell
processes.

> I was going to send a copy to one of our developers. Are you
> looking for someone to completely take over the project, as in putting it
> in another CVS and hosting page? We might be able to put it in KDE CVS in
> extragear-2 or admin. If you would like to grant one or more of us access
> to CVS or to be able to release packages let me know.

I would appreciate every activity on KPortage. Maybe the best would be to give
you administrative access to to project on savannah because i don't know how
to get a snapshot of the repository.

Greets,
Sebastian Kratzert