libextractor

[libextractor] Using iso-codes

From: Clytie Siddall
Subject: [libextractor] Using iso-codes
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:23:30 +0930

Hello :)

I'm your Vietnamese translator. I notice, while I'm updating libextractor, that you have added some more language names. Some of these, at least, are not the current, correct language names as stated in ISO-639.

To avoid having to try and keep up with names of languages and countries, I suggest that you use the iso-codes package as a plugin.

I've mentioned this to other developers, and I suppose the reason it's not already universally implemented, is that people may not know the resource exists.

The iso-codes package is installed with every main system, AFAIK (not sure about Windoze). It includes the current ISO list of language names and language codes, names of countries and states/provinces. It is kept current, and is the authoratitive list for these designations.

I have translated it myself, a huge task for each translator, and it doesn't make sense to keep on having to translate lists of languages or countries in specific applications, when the standard list exists in iso-codes.

I'm theorizing that developers could use the iso-codes package as a resource for this type of information. This also avoids inconsistencies in names of languages, countries etc., inconsistencies in translation of them, and means developers don't have to keep up-to-date with this information, since iso-codes does that for you.

The iso-codes translations are managed by The Translation Project (which you already use for translation) and the iso-codes package is maintained by Alastair McKinstry:, <address@hidden>, who is very helpful, and interested in working with developers on integrating iso-codes with applications.

I look forward to a time when the iso-codes package is integrated with the system to the degree that any application can call it easily.

I hope this is useful. :)

from Clytie