libextractor

[libextractor] towards GNU libextractor 0.6

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [libextractor] towards GNU libextractor 0.6
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 01:44:40 +0100

Dear libextractor community,

I just wanted  all of you to know that I've recently made some rather radical
changes to the GNU libextractor API in SVN HEAD which breaks all of the
language bindings and all other code using GNU libextractor.  I didn't do this
lightly, but we had been maintaining API compatibility since version 0.0.0
(for almost 7 years!), and it was really time to fix the known issues /
serious limitations.  The new version of GNU libextractor with the improved
API will be 0.6 and I'll describe the advantages of the new API in more detail
when 0.6.0 is to be released.

If you care about the API and have any suggestions for further changes, this
would be the best time to voice them.  You can find the API at

     https://ng.gnunet.org/svn/Extractor/src/include/extractor.h

Also, the various language bindings (Python, PHP, mono, perl, ...) will need
to be updated.  I've already myself converted the Java binding; for the others
I hope the original authors or new contributors will help with this task.
Adapting the Java binding to the new API took less than 2h (including
testing).

Note that LE 0.6.0 has not yet been released --- I still need to update the
documentation and finish up some other minor issues (such as integrating
feedback I have already received about the new API).  Other than missing
documentation, the code in SVN HEAD itself should be reasonably ready for
production and testing.

Again, if anyone wants to provide any feedback about the new API, this would
be the time to do this.

Happy hacking!

Christian