libredwg

Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [libredwg] avoiding pkg-config
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:32:38 +0200

() Wookey <address@hidden>
() Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:54:22 +0100

   > In sum, pkg-config is overkill; we don't need it.

   [pkg-config advantages over foo-config]

   So whilst this makes little difference to libredwg, there
   are lots of wider reasons why pkg-config if a good thing.
   Packages which have historically used foo-config scripts are
   slowly being updated to use pkg-config by default.  We
   should be doing this too, not trying to avoid it and going
   in the opposite direction.

It does indeed sound like a long-term win to use pkg-config.

   If there are problems using pkg-config for some reason
   (normally it is very strightforward), I am happy to help
   sort those out in the interests of improving the software.

Very well.  I retract that patch and will update the Hydra
recipe to include ‘pkgconfig’ as a dependency.  However, there
is still room for improvement: the pkg-config(1) invocation
should anyway be moved from "make check" time to configure.ac.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502