libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Software Freedom Dialogue Strategy (was Re: SFD Street Ac

From: Stephen Paul Weber
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Software Freedom Dialogue Strategy (was Re: SFD Street Activism)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:22:54 -0500

> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario/Software_Freedom_Day_2016

Wow, a lot of great work on this page!

>  Brochure or bookmark hand out

I know we talked about this the first time.  This is the Free Culture
brochure I currently use with LibreStreets:
<http://librestreets.singpolyma.net/freeculture-brochure-front.svg>
<http://librestreets.singpolyma.net/freeculture-brochure-inside.svg>

Could maybe adapt something similar for our purposes, if we want.  I've had
good success with VistaPrint for many products, though I went with someone
else for bookmarks because of price, if we think bookmarks would be good.

> otherwise give a business card so they can email us to ask any questions

Business card / bookmark.  A bookmark with contact information has the
advantage of being (very slightly) useful, so (very slightly) less chance of
being immediately forgotten / thrown out.

> Whether to congregate in one location to do this together, like the
> biggest city or most central city with members

I'm not opposed to making a trip to Toronto to do something like this.
There certainly is more foot traffic there on average.  Do you have a sense
of what places in Toronto would be good to target for this sort of thing?

>- My 2008 case for libre software/culture (haven't read it in years, it was
>a relatively early expression of my thinking but my first comprehensive
>attempt to make a case):
>http://blaise.ca/blog/2008/03/21/why-free-culture/

On a similar line, my attempt to explain this in a specific cultural context
(churches):
<https://singpolyma.net/2015/07/christian-faith-and-copyfreedom/>

>- Re: Stephen's Cory Doctorow suggestion, assuming this is a good example
>of his recent talks, hoping to listen to this soon:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6itfUUsoQ

I was at his DEFCON talk, it's good, but might (been awhile, so I'm not
sure) gloss over some of the tech stuff a little bit more since, you know,
DEFCON people don't really need this explained to them.

His talk at uwaterloo was a bit more general -- I even took my parents.
<https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/Cory%20Doctorow%20-%20The%20War%20on%20General%20Purpose%20Computing>