libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Code of Conduct / Charter text

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Code of Conduct / Charter text
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:00:40 -0400

Peter <address@hidden> writes:

> The idea of a contact member is illustrated with the Turkey groups. Assuming
> Manchester is the closest geographical group to Turkey, it may appoint a
> contact member to start the Turkey group (in Turkey), so Turkey users will
> join the group, but Manchester will run it. Turkey members may start their
> own groups when the contact member considers them capable. This means users
> cannot start their own groups without already belonging to one, so they
> already know what it's all about.

(Hope it's okay that I added the list back to the CC)

This is an interesting point, I think we can still encourage people to
form their own groups; but we will need volunteers with more experience
to assist them and keep an eye on things.

We could follow some sort of mentoring system? Where any new group gets
assigned a mentor. Similar to what Debian tries to do for new
developers. Or we could just rely on a team of wiki editors.

But I think above all LP has to be agile and a bit chaotic, in order for
the bar to participation to be low enough that people will actually do
it. So I don't want to impose a requirement that an existing group
member needs to be involved in any new group.

Plus, a lot of our first batch of groups are going to be
existing/established groups that want to change to become LP groups.

--
John Sullivan
Manager of Operations