libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] uri for italian project page

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] uri for italian project page
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:23:39 +0000

On Monday 13 April 2009 14:39, John Sullivan wrote:
> Graziano Sorbaioli <address@hidden> writes:
> > I would like to start the project page of our Libre Planet Italia group.
> >
> > At the moment there is a "Project" link in the bar:
> >
> > About | FAQ | Join | Mission | Skills | News | Project
> >

> > I know that this bar will be soon translated so I would like to ask: do
> > you plan to maintain the english uri (current one) or a translated uri?

My idea was to make the menubar language aware, not the uri. Same goes for the
project template. Which do think would be better, translated templates, or
uri?

My first thought is to add a lang field to each template, which will index
into the menubar templates and include the proper one. All you need do is
create a translated menubar.

> That's a good question. What do other people think, and are there other
> examples out there? Are there any similar cases on Wikipedia?

I don't recall seeing menus on wikipedia.

> > I need to know this to open a future-proof page for our projects because
> > I don't want to change its uri in the future.
>
> It's a wiki so you should count on URIs changing, but fortunately it is
> easy to make old ones redirect to new ones when they change just by
> creating a redirect in the wiki interface.

To avoid this very problem, my templates separate the uri from the page name.
The upgraded wiki allows you to give you page a different name to your uri.
So if you use that feature, it will keep its name even when the uri changes.

The project and group templates link together, so if you use them, the only
future issue I see is translating the menubars.

The other alternative is to create icons for the menubar and then we don't
have to worry about translations at all.

Regards,

Peter