libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] smw woes

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] smw woes
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:24:35 +0000

On Friday 19 June 2009 20:08, you wrote:
> Peter <address@hidden> writes:
> > The only difficulty is that forms require properties to define the data
> > types, but I suppose I can ignore properties for now and later we can
> > decide whether they're useful or not?
>
> What do you mean by this?

Just that we can create templates without properties and manually add them
later. For example, a form may have a date field, but it will only provide
it, if the template field has the date property, otherwise it will default to
plain text and accept 'invalid' dates. If a field has little semantic value,
there is no reason to give it a property, is there?

> > I'll try to pull back on the planning and work with what's happening. My
> > inclination is to move pages all over the place, add menubars and
> > generally give them a consistent look and feel, but that will probably
> > annoy others, particularly if they've bookmarked pages.
>
> I think you should feel free to indulge this impulse.

erm, okay.

> We would also like to have such things aggregated on the front page (and
> the new front page design that will be live next week aims to do this)
> -- lists of Events, News, Projects, and Groups will be easily available
> on the front page.

That sounds good. I did a very quick and dirty hack on the main page, just to
get people motivated and show that Libre Planet has content. I'd like to see
something similar for the community portal and current event pages, though.

> > This means each regional group can update their local news page and it
> > will be reflected/accessed from the Community page. Hopefully, this will
> > get people more interested in providing that kind of information.
> > Initially, I wasn't sure that's what Libre Planet was about, but it can
> > be worked into the social aspect, so I don't see a problem. I'd prefer it
> > to be more ethics oriented, but I guess we can migrate towards that over
> > time.
>
> I think helping give groups who work on free software from an ethical
> standpoint a louder voice is consistent with our ethics oriented goals.
> I think promoting their news items and events is a good way to do this.

I think giving a voice is a first step. At some point we should be able to
effect changes, not just talk about them.

On a more proactive note, I was recently pointed to
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/06/build-brand-together-adendums.html

I can't put my finger on the problem, but I don't see this promoting Free
Software ethics. For me, FOSS and variants bury Free Software under Open
Source. This combination is like talking about making cars legally capable of
driving on the left and right sides of the road, and ignoring driver license
restrictions. For me, this is potentially more damaging than anything
proprietary companies have done to Free Software so far.

Regards,

Peter