libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] LP translations: a proposal... (UPDATE!!!)

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] LP translations: a proposal... (UPDATE!!!)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:35:07 +0100

Il giorno lunedì 24/01/2011 00:32:58 CET
al3xu5 / dotcommon <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> [... how to manage LP translations? ...]

> Finally, I figured out a possible solution.
> It consists of using the 'Language' template I created at:
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Template:Languages

And now I have updated it (see below)...

> [...]

> To see how it really works, you can look at (original page, in
> Italian):
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Italia/miniguida-freenode
> and at (English translation):
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanetItalia/miniguida-freenode.en

Please, see also:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Italia%5Clangtest
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Italia%5Clangtest%5Cit
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Italia/langtest.ar
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Italia/langtest.fr

> http://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=Translation_Policy
> This should be the page where to state the LP policy for translations
> and where ask/suggest people to use the 'Languages' template...
>
> More, the "languages link" are displayed using the lang codes:

No more!

The updated template:

1) Now displays the *native* language names!!!
It works using the ISO 639-1 standard (2-digit codes, names and native).

2) Set the MediaWiki property *'Language code'* of the calling page to
the value of the <LangCode> parameter.
This is very useful in a semantic world (i.e. serching the wiki by
property do list pages in a given language...)!!!

> [...] Neverthless, I think it would be
> better to fix a page naming rule within the LP policy for
> translations. It might be something like:
> - "original" master page: MyPage (or My_Page)
> - translations: MyPage.xx (being 'xx' the lang code, i.e. MyPage.it
> for Italian, MyPage.fr for French)

I suggest to use:
MyPage.xx
or (probably better):
MyPage/xx

Please tell me your opinion about it.

> If you, LP developers, think that the 'Languages' template is good
> and could be useful to manage translations in the LP wiki:
> - I propose to use/adopt it within LP!
> [... improvements: DONE! ...]
> - I can help building/writing a LP policy for translations

Il giorno domenica 23/01/2011 20:56:59 CET
John Sullivan <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thank you for your appreciament.

> Doing them in any consistent way is definitely better.

Please, tell me if you all agree to "adopt" the 'Languages' template as
described above.

If yes, I will put the template in the Main_Page (and also within its
existing translations) and I will start the 'Translation_Policy' page in
the wiki...

Best regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon