Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:22:24 -0400

    We must design a GNU Mode of Production that allows us to cover the
    real costs of production (purchasing hardware, supplying electricity,
    repairing and operating those machines, etc.) while preserving freedom
    for every user.

We can't assume that such a thing exists.  If it does exist, it will
be very different from software development.

    The FSF already hosts email (@fsf.org and @gnu.org) that could compete
    with Gmail.

We handle email only for thousands of people.  Gmail is a commercial
service that handles millions of people.  That is very expensive.
If we could do it, it would require lots of management attention
(which would distract us from more important things) and where
would we get the money?

If people would pay to do it, there is no point having the FSF do it.

    The FSF already hosts software projects (Savannah.GNU.org) that could
    compete with github.com

We can barely keep Savannah running with the volunteers we have.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation