[libreplanet-discuss] Linked Data, Solid, and the FSF

From: Tom
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Linked Data, Solid, and the FSF
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:28:52 -0500

Hello,

I just joined the mailing list so please forgive me if I'm repeating questions
others have asked or things others have said.

I was years ago a professional programmer, now just an amateur and hobbyist.
I've been hanging around for a couple of years on the fringes of the forum and
chat rooms of Tim Berners Lee's project called Solid.  I became convinced that
this project would take the world by storm.

I've also been enthusiastic about linked data, rdf, and owl, and hopeful that
if they are widely used they could reduce or eliminate confusion or uncertainty
in many areas, among them law and history.

These days I'm not so confident that linked data and Solid can live up to all
the promises.  The main reason I am questioning this is that these things are
apparently not being pursued as free software projects for the benefit of users
and society at large.

So I'm wondering, what are the views of those involved with the FSF regarding
linked data and Solid?  I'm wondering mainly about long term goals and ideals
but am also interested in technical aspects as far as I'm able to understand
them.  Are there any projects planned or in progress at the FSF that will use
linked data or Solid?

Thank you very much,

Tom Gallivan