Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 21:44:43 -0600

Lyberta wrote:
Today the Internet is filled with malware that is free software:

https://lyberta.net/articles/tech/free_sw_untrusted.html

The article doesn't make it clear to me what is malware in any of the listed software. It seems to me that the saving grace of free software is that one can remove the malware, run and distribute the rest of the code, and retain full control over their computer. This takes effort but at least we're allowed to do it.

The article points out that auditing matters and I concur -- there's no substitute for auditing by someone one trusts. There's too much free software for anyone to do this alone but collectively we can get more of this done.

This is also why open source is not the enemy. Proprietary software is the enemy. In fact the FSF has long published this in their older article on how free software differs from open source:

From https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
We don't think of the Open Source movement as an enemy. The enemy is
proprietary software.

Proprietary software denies one the freedom to do the vetting that needs to be done. Open source may make some indefensible claims about how effective the open source development methodology is at reducing bugs and improving software, but that's nowhere near distributing malware.