Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:37:24 +0100

Il giorno sabato 19/01/2019 11:41:43 +0100
Nicolás Ortega Froysa <nortega@themusicinnoise.net> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 09:44:43PM -0600, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> > Lyberta wrote:
> > > Today the Internet is filled with malware that is free software:
> > >
> > > https://lyberta.net/articles/tech/free_sw_untrusted.html
> >
> > The article points out that auditing matters and I concur -- there's no
> > substitute for auditing by someone one trusts. There's too much free
> > software for anyone to do this alone but collectively we can get more of
> > this done.
> >

> Considering that this is an issue that would affect nearly all distros,
> it may be a good idea to setup a central collective group for auditing
> software. This would help in various regards:

[...]

> Certain conditions would be needed to make sure that the effort is as
> distribution-agnostic as possible, but I believe such an effort would
> greatly benefit the free software community.

It would be a very big effort, but probably useless because it would remain a
couple of big problems:

- "cleaning" software do not "clean" hardware, that is closed (and almost
  certainly will remain so) and is where the most dangerous malware resides

- in my (heretic) opinion, free software have two "big" bugs: allows commercial
  use (which attracts the worst "intentions") and has the LGPL (which allows
  any non-free software -- including malware -- to fall through the back door)

Regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.