libreplanet-us-ma

Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Anti-DRM support from the American Library Assoc

From: Andrew Engelbrecht
Subject: Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Anti-DRM support from the American Library Association?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:20:59 -0400

On 06/28/2012 08:00 PM, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright/digitalrights/
>
> They seem sympathetic, but this seems like they don't completely
> understand:
>
> The principal policy issues for libraries and schools are not derived from
>> DRM technology, itself, but from the business models the content industry
>> chooses to enforce.
>

> How can we get them to jump on board?

You could tell them that as long as those companies use DRM and
libraries use it, libraries will have no control over the 'business
models' they have a problem with. Even if businesses improve them for
the time being, the models will always have the potential to change,
without the permission of the libraries.

If everyone, including libraries, buy into DRM, then there will be
little hope to counteract that system. If you play into the hands of DRM
companies, they don't need to give you any freedom for their business
models to succeed.

While it may seem nice to cut out bad business models and keep the
digital restrictions, I think they are inseparable. The DRM is only
there to enforce those models.

[citation needed]

-Andrew