libreplanet-us-wa

[Libreplanet-us-wa] among the truths

From: Gary Kline
Subject: [Libreplanet-us-wa] among the truths
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:14:36 -0800

        Fellow members,

        yes, it's true that at my age, I'm among the geezer-geeks
        yet living. [[ I wasn't able to finished my EECS until I earned
        a rehab scholarship at Cal ~15 years after high school.  And it
        was a brutal 4+ years until I finished. ]]  but then I was able
        to earn a decent living and jumped at the opportunities in the
        open src community: FreeBSD, at first, then Linux.  I've written
        several small utilities for FBSD that need some tweaks to
        compile for Linux.

        Last month, a tech I had to hire to do some cabling and install
        a KVM switch, found a Dell quad i5 computer.  I spend weeks
        fighting over the newest Micros**t-driven tweak: I think it
        was something to do with "creating a better BIOS for the
        64-bit world."  this according to the propaganda.

        I spent 14 hours yesterday installing Linux on the new box;
        it is still not quite right.  Day by month by year I'm convinced
        that MS and Apple {and others} will do whatever it takes to
        restrict folks' freedom of choice to try other --and likely
        superior-- ways.

        gary kline

--
 Gary Kline  address@hidden  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.