libreplanet-us-wa

[Libreplanet-us-wa] [announce] TA3M-Seattle #1, Mon 9/16

From: Blibbet
Subject: [Libreplanet-us-wa] [announce] TA3M-Seattle #1, Mon 9/16
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 00:04:38 -0700

What: TA3M-Seattle #1
When: 3rd Monday, Sep 16, 2013, 6:30-9:00pm
Where: Black Coffee Coop, 501 E. Pine St; Seattle, WA 98122 <http://blackcoffeecoop.com/>

Welcome to the first TA3M-Seattle meeting!

TA3M-Seattle (Techno-Activism, 3rd Mondays) is a monthly event for people that either work on or want to learn more about online surveillance and censorship, the open source tools that are used to combat it, and issues and initiatives associated with this area. The idea is to bring together software developers, activists, concerned citizens, and others, so we they can both educate each other, and share knowledge.

For more information about TA3M-Seattle, see the wiki:
<https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays:seattle>

We are proud to have two excellent speakers lined up for our first event!

Schedule:

6:30-7:00 (30m), pre-event networking
7:00-7:10 (10m), welcome
7:10-7:50 (30m), Jason Self, "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU"
7:40-7:55 (15m), break, networking
7:55-9:00 (65m), Jerry Whiting, "Life Online Post-PRISM"

The above schedule is estimated, unsure of exact length of guest speaker's presentations.

Speaker 1:

Jason Self,  "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU"

Jason Self, a free software and free culture activist, will be giving a talk entitled "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU". In this talk, Jason gives an introduction to the Free Software Foundation, their efforts for Free Society -- including it's anti-Surveillance campaign, their free software projects, including including GNU/Linux, their local LibrePlanet Washington State community, and some related upcoming events.

Speaker 2:

Jerry Whiting, "Life Online Post-PRISM: tiptoeing through cyberspace"

If you've been awake and paying attention the last month you know that the National Security Agency among others has been eavesdropping, wiretapping, and invading our privacy for years. Jerry will review what the NSA can and can't do, as well as what the NSA does and doesn't do.

More importantly he'll discuss what we as individuals can do in response including truly secure password hygiene, encryption and cryptography that actually works, Tor, the anonymizing network, and a new security model that assumes ever-present surveillance. A Tor relay will be configured and given away as well as flash drives and CDs full of tools and toys.

Jerry Whiting engages in what he calls "political computing" providing assistance and guidance to activists, NGOs, and others. He has done encryption and cryptography for 15+ years, runs Tor relays, and lectures on related topics. Founder of Azalea Software, he served on Seattle's Citizens Telecommunications & Technology Advisory Board (CTTAB) for 4 years and publishes JetCityOrange. Jerry has done presentations for #OccupySeattle, Seattle Mini Maker Faire, ToorCamp, and Ada Books. He works with elders of the Black Panther Party, the Tibetan diaspora, and others engaged in the struggle around the world.

###