libreplanet-us-wa

[Libreplanet-us-wa] Community Data Science Workshops in November @ UW Se

From: Benj. Mako Hill
Subject: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Community Data Science Workshops in November @ UW Seattle - Participate or Volunteer!
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:04:05 -0700

[ Please feel free to forward this on to any other people or lists you
  think might be interested! ]

Greetings fellow free software advocates!

I am helping run three and a half day-long workshops in November for
anyone interested in learning how to use programming and data science
tools to ask and answer questions about online communities like
Wikipedia, free software, Twitter, civic media, etc. This will be a
new and improved version of the workshops we ran successfully earlier
this year.

The workshops are for people with no previous programming experience
and will be free of charge and open to anyone.

Our goal is that, after the three workshops, participants will be able
to use data to produce numbers, hypothesis tests, tables, and
graphical visualizations to answer questions like:

  - Are new contributors to an article in Wikipedia sticking around
    longer or contributing more than people who joined last year?

  - Who are the most active or influential users of a particular
    Twitter hashtag?

  - Are people who participated in a Wikipedia outreach event staying
    involved? How do they compare to people that joined the project
    outside of the event?

Details and dates are online here:

  http://networkcollectiv.es/2014/10/16/cdsw-november-2014/

If you are interested in participating, fill out our registration at
the link above before October 30th.

If you already know how to program in Python, it would be really
awesome if you would volunteer as a mentor! Being a mentor will
involve working with participants and talking them through the
challenges they encounter in programming. No special preparation is
required. If you’re interested, send me an email.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto