libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Document Freedom Day, Lee

From: cinnamon
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Document Freedom Day, Lee
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:44:02 -0700

Hi Lee,

> I've not organized any DFD event before, so I'm open to any ideas.

I haven't organized any DFD event either, we are both new to this. I
heard about it from you and then got empowered from watching the talk
at libreplanet on document freedom. Did anyone see that talk on stream?
It's here somewhere
http://mtjm.eu/releases/lp2015/
I took some notes on the talk. Perhaps we could show the talk at a
institution?

> Where is best place to find people that use MSO that should be
> using AOO or LO, or some other ODF-native FOSS tools? Consumers?
> Students? Professionals?

Schools are definitely huge because they are a place for learning and
that includes the teachers, students, staff and administrators.

I don't know what most local events happen at UW or UW bothell
campuses, especially not at UW. I am at Cascadia College which is
colocated with UW Bothell. It's spring break now so there is not much
going on.

At Cascadia College there is the IT NextGen Club and the Engineering
Club and my unofficial club the cryptoparty club.

At the UWB there is the OWASP, the grey hat and ACM clubs I could try
to contact.

There are cs programs at both colleges, but neither college nor the
existing clubs have much interest in free software, but there is alot
of MSO use.

Every school computer and laptop at these two colleges has MSO and
every student, staff, administrator, except two people uses MO.

> For Day Against DRM and Software Freedom Day, don't most local
> events happen at UW or UW Bothell campuses?

I didn't know there were these events at these schools, or at least UWB.

> I have DFD swag care package in snailmail route to me, not sure of
> ETA.

I contacted Robinson Tyron who gave the talk and said he could give me
additional items if needed. He said he gave you materials.

- --