libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] [Free Geek Seattle] Free Geek Seattle needs FSF

From: Lee Fisher
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] [Free Geek Seattle] Free Geek Seattle needs FSF supporters
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 19:15:33 -0700

> What are the skills/aptitude needed for a workshop lead? How long
> to be trained up? How many sessions does a Lead actually lead?
> Remind me again when workshops are (and where)?

[Thanks for continued tolerance for cross-posting to two local
FSF-related groups...]

- -----

Workshop Lead instructions:
https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/Workshop_guide

We're working on a new Seattle-specific Assembly Checklist. In the
mean time, outdated FreeGeek Portland attendee instructions:
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Assembly_checklist
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Build_Instructor_Guide

Basically, anyone who can deal with PC helpdesk issues would be
well-suited to lead a workshop. If you can tear down a PC and
reassemble it, and install Linux, you're in good shape. It only takes
a workshop or two to get used to running things. Attend once or twice
and learn, from attendee perspective. (Build 5 PCs, the 6th is yours,
or something like that, I forget.)

A Lead runs one session. There are 50 sessions/year (minus the
weekends of SeaGL and LFNW). My goal, not yet achieved, is 1
workshop/month. One of our volunteers currently runs 90% of the
workshops, and he'll be on vacation the month of May.

- -----

What:   Free Geek Seattle Monthly Meeting
When:   2nd Monday of the month month, from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Where:  Third Place Commons
        <http://thirdplacecommons.org/>
        (Upper Level of Lake Forest Park Towne Centre)
        17171 Bothell Way NE, Lake Forest Park, WA 98155

We meet in the area with all the tables. There're only a few next to a
power supply, the ones with the best-stickered laptops would be us.
There may be a Free Geek Seattle sign on the table, to look for. This
meeting is to meet other volunteers and to work on plans to improve
the project.

Check the mailing list or IRC for cancellations or changes in
time/location.

- -----

What:   Free Geek Seattle Workshop
When:   [most] Saturdays, from 3:00 PM to around 6:00 PM
Where:  Filipino Community Center (FCS)
        <http://filipinocommunityofseattle.org/>
        5740 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S
        Seattle, WA 98118
        FCS front desk: 206-722-9372
        FGSea lab: 206.858.9311

<https://www.google.com/maps?q=Filipino+Community+Center,+Seattle,+WA>

FCS has parking to the north, south, and east of the building. The
FGSea lab is just south of the main hall. If you can't find it, or if
the north door is locked, the front desk is on the south side of the
building. Right next to light rail. If a potential lead needs some
carpooling help, speak up on the mailing list.

Check the wiki page for that week to see if there is an event
scheduled. Also check on the mailing list and IRC. The phone number
for the Free Geek Seattle lab is 206.858.9311. If nobody answers,
nobody is in the lab yet, perhaps stuck in traffic.

Check before assuming event is happening, especially now, we're quite
low, and while we normally have Workshops EVERY Saturday, we may have
to cancel a few, due to some vacation of current volunteer(s), and
attrition.

BTW, Free "Free Geek Seattle t-shirt" for volunteers who attend
workshops, most Men's and Women's sizes XS-XXL. :-)

- -----

Thanks again!