libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] stuff going on, and soliciting ideas

From: Lee Fisher
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] stuff going on, and soliciting ideas
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 12:51:56 -0700

On 10/11/2015 07:27 PM, Andrew Kane wrote:
> It's been a couple of weeks since the last FGSEA-ish meeting at
> Third Place. I don't intend that we should have another one this
> month unless someone else wants to and has ideas on what to talk
> about.
>
> Since the last meeting I've made very little progress on starting
> the as-yet-unnamed organization I've been talking about. I have
> not forgotten, but I hope no one is in a hurry. This is a complex
> area in which I have no prior training. I'm assuming that everyone
> who reads this already knows what I'm talking about, but just in
> case: Free Geek Seattle is effectively dead, and I'm planning to
> start a different organization which will help it and other similar
> organizations to start. I'm currently thinking of using the name
> "Libremake" for this organization. Hopefully someone has a better
> idea?

I think that the area could benefit from some more active FOSS
involvement in projects. Today, most activities seem to focus around
meeting at bars and socializing, occasional protests against non-GPL
entities.

I wish FSF had more constructive, educational goals for local
LibrePlanet chapters.

I liked having the LibreOffice hackathon adjacent to SeaGL last year;
too bad Robinson wasn't around this year. I think we should have a
quarterly hackathon for a strategic FOSS project, where there is some
local project volunteer around locally to help coordinate with newbie
involvement with that project.

I think recurring FOSS hackathons and some FOSS core training should
be the central to a replacement for FGSea. It also is core to the
skillsets/education that Andrew is looking at, to help build new FOSS
contributors. Hackathons/bug-squashing-parties bring in all types,
people, developers, testers, writers, localization/globalization
experts, etc.

There are multiple FOSS communities for most FOSS languages, OSes, and
big projects. If this group could get one person from each community
to contribute training on their area-of-expertise, we'd have a good
way to help introduce local citizens to FOSS. Similar to the Free Geek
Portland's monthly training schedule.

I'd contribute intro courses for Python, embedded Linux, and embedded
Android, using LibreOffice/OpenOffice suite.

One optional goal would be to help newbies with some industry
certification, eg Linux sysadmin, and getting some job placement via
local tech/startup community. In the past, some certs use to offer
free testing at LinuxFestNW. Timing training to work with these orgs
to have LFNW/SeaGL cert might be nice.

Hosting at public libraries is probably the best option for now.

Like Andrew mentioned at SeaGL, perhaps this new group might have more
OpenHatch affiliation?

I don't have time to actively run this group, but I can help teach a
few classes/quarter. I don't expect we should all rely on Andrew to
build this for us.

If everyone can contribute a course or two, and/or help with some part
of general infrastructure, there might be a chance to reboot the FOSS
training/education part of FGSea again. It is too much to have Andrew
to solo, and I doubt he would bother if nobody is willing to help.