libreplanet-us-wa

[Libreplanet-us-wa] Aaron Swartz Event at UW on January 13th

From: Benj. Mako Hill
Subject: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Aaron Swartz Event at UW on January 13th
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:15:18 -0800

Greetings friends!

I'm organizing an event at UW next week to remember and celebrate
Aaron Swartz. The event will involve a reading, the screening of a
documentary film, and a Q&A. The event coincides with the third
anniversary of Aaron's death and the release of a new book of Swartz's
writing that I contributed to. Aaron was a friend and a roommate of
mine in Boston.

Please feel free to forward this on to lists or other groups you think
might be interested.

Details are below:

  WHAT: Aaron Swartz: The Boy Who Could Change the World – Reflections on
        Technology and Civil Liberties
  WHEN: Wednesday, January 13 at 6:30-9:30 p.m.
  WHERE: Communications Building (CMU) 120, University of Washington

  We invite you to celebrate the life and activism efforts of Aaron
  Swartz, hosted by UW Communication professor Benjamin Mako Hill. The
  event is next week and will consist of a short book reading, a
  screening of a documentary about Aaron’s life, and a Q&A with Mako
  who knew Aaron well – details are below. No RSVP required; we hope
  you can join us.

  Aaron Swartz was a programming prodigy, entrepreneur, and
  information activist who contributed to the core Internet protocol
  RSS and co-founded Reddit, among other groundbreaking work. However,
  it was his efforts in social justice and political organizing
  combined with his aggressive approach to promoting increased access
  to information that entangled him in a two-year legal nightmare that
  ended with the taking of his own life at the age of 26.

  January 11, 2016 marks the third anniversary of his death. Join us
  two days later for a reading from a new posthumous collection of
  Swartz’s writing published by New Press, a showing of “The
  Internet's Own Boy” (a documentary about his life), and a Q&A with
  UW Communication professor Benjamin Mako Hill – a former roommate
  and friend of Swartz and a contributor to and co-editor of the first
  section of the new book.

I hope to see some of you there!

If you are on this list but not in Seattle, I have a blog post with
links to events in other cities:

https://mako.cc/copyrighteous/celebrate-aaron-swartz-2016

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto