libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup

From: Andrew Kane
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 14:34:27 -0800

On 11/20/2016 05:58 PM, Andrew Kane wrote:
> On 11/20/2016 04:28 PM, Alex Jordan wrote:
>
> Hi Alex, and thanks for the writeup. I've added some further information
> and responses inline.
>
>> Seattle local government is interested in bringing municipal network
>> access to low-income residents
>
> Specifically this is a body called CTAB, the Community Technology
> Advisory Board. For some reason they have two different websites:
>
> http://www.seattle.gov/community-technology-advisory-board
> http://ctab.seattle.gov/
>

>> Currently they're looking at negotiating with large ISPs
>
> Further information:
>
> http://ctab.seattle.gov/2015/03/12/position-statement-low-income-internet-access/
>
> I find this document... somewhat amazing.
>

>> Person #2 will send something to local govm't no matter what

I would like to suggest a different tack: instead of contacting the CTAB
directly, it might be easier and more effective to approach each
neighborhood individually. It would take more effort (we'd need to
identify some sort of leadership group in each neighborhood (there are
'neighborhood councils', they may or may not help) and make separate
pitches to each. Once a neighborhood has a program going, they can apply
to CTAB for money (and other Seattle funding sources) and get better
traction than we can.

>> Proposal: if we can keep momentum going, we could co-author a
>> proposal/letter on LibrePlanet wiki and get a ton of local free
>> software people to co-sign (not just LibrePlanet WA members)
>
> I've written up a preliminary draft. Hope no one minds.
> Here's the link:
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Seattle_Neighborhood_Networks_Project

I know I seem impatient but we need to move QUICKLY on this. It will
take a long time to get anything working, and people in the affected
areas needed it years ago.

There is nothing further to wait on if we take the neighborhoods-first
approach. If anyone of us can put together an appointment to talk with
such a group (or however that works) I will travel to them (somehow) and
make the pitch, alone if I have to, but hopefully with others. Working
together is way more fun.