lilypond-auto

[Lilypond-auto] Issue 2463 in lilypond: Lyrics: add "hard" (always visib

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2463 in lilypond: Lyrics: add "hard" (always visible) hyphens
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:54:01 +0000

Owner: address@hidden
Labels: Type-Enhancement GSoC-LyricProject

New issue 2463 by address@hidden: Lyrics: add "hard" (always visible) hyphens

Reported by Phil Holmes:

Gould, page 448. "It is acceptable to omit a hyphen between a two-syllable word to save space provided that the word cannot be elided into a single syllable in error. However, hyphens always clarify text underlay. It is essential to divide words of more than two sylables with hyphens."

She gives an example of call-ed, where it's often pronounced while singing as two syllables, but is always a single syllable spoken.

Janek's comment:
I'm not sure whether it is always essential to divide words with more than two syllabes. English is a specific language in this regard, because the spelling and pronunciation are often quite unrelated. If we consider Latin instead, it is usually very clear how to divide the word into syllabes.

In my opinion we should introduce an always-visible hyphen and let user decide when it should be used. Suggested syntax: ==
Example of use:
{ The peo == ple that walk == ed in dark -- ness }
{ Hal -- le -- lu -- jah! }

This issue is a part of the Lyrics Project.  See related entries:
issue 2450
issue 2451
issue 2452
issue 2453