lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2507 in lilypond: Stop the entanglement of con

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2507 in lilypond: Stop the entanglement of context properties and grob property internals
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 16:47:30 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 2507 by address@hidden: Stop the entanglement of context properties and grob property internals

Well, my hopes are that "apply to 2.15?" will be a non-topic. I first need to get a nice efficient architecture that works well with context hierarchies and context defs and context mods and property hierarchies and override/revert stacks. And when that is done, there will be lots of stuff needing to get adapted and rewritten in terms of more general data structures and definitions. I think a lot of people will be unhappy if 2.16 did not make it when merging is even starting to get close to becoming a topic.

Goops is nice for allocating "slots" for data elements, but the hierarchical stuff is not something coming naturally to it. Alists certainly have their place: for one thing, they are good for copying stuff, and at the top level, for overrides. But for the hierarchical stuff, they get strained.

And I don't necessarily want to let further Guileisms like fluids make it into the mix, but in the end, of course one wants stuff to be efficient while not having to maintain too much complexity on our side.