lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots in chords

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots in chords
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 18:34:42 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Fixed_2_17_14 Regression

Comment #37 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too many dots in chords

Hi,

i apologize that i didn't speak earlier, but i wasn't up to speed with Lily work when the patch was discussed. I believe that too many dots are eaten now. In my opinion, no dots from regtests shown in comment #26 should disappear.

Note that Gould says: "in cases where a dot would need to be *two or more
staff spaces away* from the chord, you only need to use enough dots to cover
the number of spaces taken up by the chord." - so, if a dot would be just 1 staffspace away, like in

\new Staff <<
  { a'2. }
  \\
  { a'4. }

then it shouldn't be removed. (at least that's how i understand Gould).
I think that the idea behind this rule is that dots should be removed only when there are so many noteheads that noone would count the dots anyway, not just when there's only a slight abundance of dots. In a case like <c' d' e' f'>4. there are just 4 noteheads, and i instantly recognize that something's wrong if i see only 3 dots.

So, in my opinion this patch needs fixing :/