lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:47:04 +0000

Comment #68 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too many dots on chord

Probably the correct interpretation of Gould (and probably what James
had in mind) is: "If all the dots fit with just a little overhang, fine;
but if some would overhang more than two staff-spaces, nobody will be
counting them all so just print those that fit beside the chord."

To answer an earlier related question, Gould definitely means the distance
between adjacent staff-lines by "stave-space", (I wish she had chosen to
use "staff-space", but she uses "stave" and "staves" for the singular and
plural forms.)  Rather than "more than two staff-spaces", she says "two
or more stave-spaces", so if a dot is forced to be just 2 staff-spaces
away, the dots are reduced.  And if a dot at the opposite end is only
q staff-space away this is removed as well.

Under this interpretation, the number of dots decreases at one point in
the growing-chord example.  A user can reduce the overhang limit so the
behavior switches a bit earlier and puts just 4 dots on the 5-note cluster.

I would prefer to see the top dot removed on the 5-note chord, but a
lower dot added to the 7- and 9-note chords.  I think that would make
the patterns more consistent with the earlier ones in which no dots are
removed.  But that's only my opinion - I have no real-life examples;
and Gould does not go into this much detail.

Trevor