lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3307 in lilypond: Rest positions incorrect wit

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3307 in lilypond: Rest positions incorrect with non-standard line count
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 06:06:30 +0000

Comment #43 on issue 3307 by address@hidden: Rest positions incorrect with non-standard line count

#42: well, I am glad that a guitar player shares my aesthetic sense for tablatures. I think you may have another voter available if you take care not to influence her?

Regarding your "OTOH": the cases for which this is changed are those where we are at the outmost line of a staff (if not, protest again). That's one case where we have authority for the five-line staff to rely on, in the form of Gould and score examples. So that's a case where we'd require an overwhelming number of "don't like" counts to make a different decision in the five-line case and so far you are alone.

Now with the non-five staff lines cases the issue open to debate is whether I picked the right generalization of the five-line case. Not sure about that. But it seems rarely worse than what we started with.

Regarding clef positioning for odd line counts: we had a lot of discussion about those. The problem here is that the exact position, as opposed to the rest positions, carries musical meaning (clefs, like notes, have a fixed relation to pitches). So LilyPond's job is not to choose the right offset but rather to reflect the user's choice of offset/clef-position correctly.

The situation is somewhat different for time signatures since their positioning is not musically relevant. We have, however, still decided that we don't try shifting their relation with stafflines. One reason, like with shorter rests in tablatures, was that an off-center placement seemed worse than an off-line placement to most.

So I agree with "position of the clef is completely wrong" but it's the job of the person designing the non-standard staff to pick the position reflecting his intent, and we don't want LilyPond to mess with that.