lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3581 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for setti

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3581 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for setting MIDI pan position, and reverb and chorus levels
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:10:25 +0000

Comment #33 on issue 3581 by address@hidden: Patch: Add support for setting MIDI pan position, and reverb and chorus levels

git grep can be informative.

"Isn't this default equalization of MIDI volume also contrary to the policy of not default initializing any MIDI controls unless explicitly specified?"

Well, we can't really get along without any MIDI initializations when a piece contains actual dynamics. I'd actually be fine with keeping the hands off the global volume knob and do normal dynamics just by using key velocity (I think one can't avoid that one). And we can't get away without some defaults like for the tempo I think.

So it's sort of a balancing act. Now I don't want to imply that the old code was sane. But it was doing something, and now we are doing something else. And that's a good opportunity to reconsider what we _want_ to be doing in the first place.