lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \rela

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 19:01:11 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 4371 by address@hidden: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly

Part of the Graham Documentation Project was to make all the examples consistently use \relative, where before there was a mix of relative and absolute methods of indicating the octaves of pitches.

This consistency allowed use to hide the \relative c'' {} but I don't see any other advantage to consistency. The user never needs to interpret pitches himself, because LilyPond does that for him, so seeing pitches entered in the opposite of his favorite method would not be a problem.

Between relative/absolute, people generally think relative is easier to enter (because of fewer ') while absolute is easier to read (because any given pitch gets a the same octave marks each time it appears). The method that is easier to read would be more appropriate for the user manuals.

If we adopt a shorthand for \transpose x x'' to reduce the number of ' marks, then we have an entry method that is both brief and easy to read.