lilypond-auto

[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 3771 di

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues via Testlilyissues-auto
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 3771 discussion
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 10:47:03 -0000

When discussing \language naming strings, I understand that the current orthodoxy is to use their native proper names (e.g. deutsch, français, español, even if they contain special characters).

But there's one exception to the rule: "catalan" is the only language string (well, except Arabic, of course) using the English name instead of the Catalan proper name.
Shouldn't catalan better be named català, for the sake of consistency?
Should we add "català" as an alternative (keeping "catalan" for compatibility reasons)?
Any opinions?

Thanks,
Torsten

[issues:#3771] Discuss naming scheme for \language "" string

Created: Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:58 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Wed Jul 15, 2015 02:18 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Dear developers,

[tl;dr: how about ISO language codes for input language selection?]

some time ago, I suggested to add French ("français") to the list of
note-name languages as an alias to "italiano". This is the current
state, "español" was also added.

The discussion back then was about some inconsistencies:
- the language for commands is English, these keywords are in different
languages:
\language "deutsch"
^ English  ^ German

- problem: "français" needs a utf8 char ç

- "espanol" is a valid note-name language, "francais" isn’t

*Summary*: special characters are needed for some languages to spell
them correctly, this is because no international system is used here

Now I have a new suggestion:

We could use ISO 639-1 language codes for the input language
specification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

Advantages:
- international standard
- widely adopted and known for language selection
- the user language doesn't matter (no need to decide between French and
français)
- no special characters (plain ascii)
- it is short

The current language names could be kept for backwards compatibility.

This would mean, the current alias list
  scm/define-note-names.scm:968
would be extended like this:

- '((espanol español)
-   (italiano français)))
+ '((espanol español)
+   (italiano français)
+   (nederlands nl)
+   (catalan ca)
+   (deutsch de)
+   (english en)
+   (espanol es)
+   (italiano fr)
+   (italiano it)
+   (norsk nb)
+   (norsk nn)
+   (portugues pt)
+   (suomi fi)
+   (svenska sv)
+   (vlaams vls))) ; unclear*

* I have no good proposition for vlaams as the language code is nl like
Dutch/nederlands. The ISO 639-2 code is vls, another option might be nl-BE?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Joram

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/