Re: Python compatibility

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python compatibility
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 20:13:56 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> My hope was to actually do the _replace_ of Python2.4.x with
> Python2.7.x or Python3 in the lilypond code base, but not in GUB.

I don't think Python 2.4 has been _required_ (outside possibly for
GUB-only platforms like Windows) for years.  In fact, some of the
release hickups were because people unwittingly included stuff not
running on Python 2.4 and it was only at release-building time that this
became apparent.  It's actually caused our last major delay.

So 2.7 migration really is purely a GUB job not touching the LilyPond
codebase at all _except_ if there are possible differences for Python
codepaths executed only by Windows that have not yet been accounted for
moving to 2.7.

>     In contrast, migrating to 2.7 is a Gub-only job.  That's much
>     better defined and better cut out to be single-person or at least
>     single-focus work.
>
> Is it crazy to think of replacing all of the python files before
> making the change to GUB?  I literally do not know the answer to this
> question.

It's likely to cause even more of a GUB-blockade than we had now.  But
it's the sort of heavy-lifting job on the LilyPond side that could
possibly be done by a single person.  But it would block a release
before GUB is switched to Python 3 completely.

--
David Kastrup