Re: gub: I can now completely build lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: gub: I can now completely build lilypond
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 08:17:52 +0100 (CET)

> [ continued analysis of tools::python build problem on openSuSE
> Tumbleweed]

Thanks a lot!  It's a tedious job to check all those strace files...

> [...] Should this be an incompatibility of gcc 8.* and python 2.4.5?

It seems so.

> Results: Building of all *::lilypond targets succeed.

Good news.

> But building of lilypond-test fails.
>
> ./target/linux-64/build/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-master/input/regression/lilypond-book/suffix-tely.texi2pdf.log:
>
>    /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/tools/root/usr/bin/texi2dvi: texinfo.tex
>    appears to be broken.
>    This may be due to the environment variable TEX set to something
>    other than (plain) tex, a corrupt texinfo.tex file, or
>    to tex itself simply not working.
>    etex:
>    /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/root/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6:
>    version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by etex)

Obviously another linking path issue: While executing the external TeX
binaries, DLL stuff from `target/...' must not be used.

> @everybody: Does anybody volunteer to write a patch to allow python
> to be compatible with gcc 8?  Probably it's easier to tell python's
> config to look for a gcc-7 (and maybe some other names) if the
> systems gcc is version 8.x (and to abort with a reasonable error
> message if no compatible compiler is found).

gub already introduces python 2.6.  What about making this the
standard python version to be used on all platforms as a quick
solution?

    Werner