Re: guilev1/2 musing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev1/2 musing
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:58:33 +0100

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/25/19, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Over the years some people worked on the topic - speaking only for
>> myself, I think all low hanging fruits are done.
>
> Indeed. Lily-guile2 actually works pretty well (if you don’t mind the
> noticeable performance hit); I think I’ve been using it nearly-daily
> for more than a couple of years… but I still require a guilev1 build
> whenever there are accented chars to be handled (which does tend to
> happen for a French-speaking user). Which seems definitely not to be
> *that* low-hanging a fruit.

I thought basic input worked?  To be sure, the "stable" Guile-2
repeatedly changed details of character encodings/conversions where
stuff that once worked stopped again.  So I don't know the current
state.  But covering basic input should mostly be lower hanging fruit
than some of the really ugly memory allocation stuff that has been fixed
in the mean time.

--
David Kastrup