Re: Flaw in note-by-number, how to catch paper in \book ?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Flaw in note-by-number, how to catch paper in \book ?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 10:19:46 +0100

Am Mo., 28. Jan. 2019 um 06:28 Uhr schrieb Ben Rudiak-Gould
<address@hidden>:

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> layout-set-staff-size does not work properly anyway IIRC.  This is
>> probably only one symptom.
>

> It may have problems inside \layout { ... } but in this example it's used in
> \paper { ... }. It seems to work fine in \paper. In fact
> set-global-staff-size simply calls layout-set-staff-size in a \paper context.
> (More precisely it calls layout-set-absolute-staff-size-in-module on a clone
> of $defaultpaper and then sets $defaultpaper to the clone.)
>
> It seems like there should be a way of setting the staff size in a \book
> context. \book { #(set-global-staff-size n) ... } doesn't work at all (and
> doesn't warn either; it should probably either work or warn). But \book {
> \paper { #(layout-set-staff-size n) } ... } has precisely the same
> sizing/positioning effect as top-level #(set-global-staff-size n) on
> absolutely everything in my score except the stems of notes produced by
> \note-by-number. It is very very close to working perfectly already.

To set the staff-size for a \book do
#(set-global-staff-size n1)
\book { }
#(set-global-staff-size n2)
\book { }

Doing
 \book { \paper { #(layout-set-staff-size n) } ... }
is neither recommended nor documented.
Rather the usage of #(layout-set-staff-size n) in a score-layout
_is_documented and works fine with note-by-number, afaict.
See the examples of

 To use
\book { \paper { #(layout-set-staff-size n) } ... }
may be a feature-request then.

Cheers,
  Harm