Re: guilev1/2 musing

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: guilev1/2 musing
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:50:30 +0000

On 1/25/19, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> how exactly is your guile-2-setup, simply checkout the
> 'guile-v2-work'-branch, rebase and compile?

Oh, I wasn’t even keeping track of this branch (isn’t it dormant, much
like Patrick’s previous work on Guilev2?); I’m just using master with
--enable-guile2, which does produce a usable build (minus the accented
chars problem).

> In the attachment to this post
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-10/msg00054.html
> are all patches to make _master_ work with guile-2.

Great! I’ve extracted the zip and applied the patches -- except the
last one, that’s already been pushed as
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=a3c2b18e3fc2b9310a4d95d374518b3e2e6fa854

> I _think_ accented characters are always supported then.

Well, they do appear to be supported. I initially didn’t notice any
difference because when launching the compilation from within
Frescobaldi, for some weird reason they’re rendered as interrogation
marks -- but when compiling from a terminal it works correctly. That’s
odd; I’m used to juggling between builds or git branches and
Frescobaldi never causes any trouble. I’ll need to investigate that
(could it be because of JIT-precompiled binaries lagging behind, or
something like that?).

Anyway. This is good news as far as I’m concerned; now I can use
guilev2 even with accented chars… Here’s to hoping guilev3 doesn’t
come and disrupt things even further.

V.