Re: Lyric placement or new staff for ending

From: Tyler Mitchell
Subject: Re: Lyric placement or new staff for ending
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 21:00:31 -0800

Hi Guy,

[I'm not the list maintainer, but as a suggestion, if you make a
mistake and post your message too soon, it may be better to reply
to your original message without modifying the subject line, so
that you don't create multiple threads for the same topic.]

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 09:40:53PM -0600, Guy Stalnaker wrote:
>     \new Staff \with { alignAboveContext = #"sopranos" } {
>       \new Voice = "Solo"
>       {
>         {
>           \partial 4 a'4\bar "||"
>           a'4. bf'8 c''4 a' |
>           g'2 f' |
>         }
>       }
>       \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = #"sopranos" } \lyricsto "Solo" {
>         Yet what I can I give Him,
>       }
>     }

The only problem with this code is that you can't have both a Voice
and a Lyrics context inside a Staff without it being enclosed in <<
>>. Like this:

    \new Staff \with { alignAboveContext = #"sopranos" } <<
      \new Voice = "Solo"
      {
        {
          a'4\bar "||"
          a'4. bes'8 c''4 a' |
          g'2 f' |
      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = #"sopranos" } \lyricsto "Solo" {
        Yet what I can I give Him,
      }

(Also the \partial is unnecessary, which I missed earlier, since I
was using LilyBin and didn't notice the warnings it generated.)

Regarding the extra space, I can only guess, since I don't have
your four-part code, that it is due to the order in which you
created the Lyrics contexts.

Here is about the shortest example I could come up with to
illustrate that. In the comments, I suggest which two lines to
swap, and hopefully you'll see what I mean. (In any case, this
might be a moot point for you, since you plan to create a new
staff.)

\version "2.18.2"
\score {
  <<
    \new Dynamics \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing =
        #'((padding . 1))
      } {
      s2. s4\mf |
    }
    \new Staff = "sopranos" <<
      \new Voice = "soprano" {
        \relative c'' {
          a2.
          <<
            \new Voice = "solo" { \voiceOne a4 | a4. }
            \new Voice = "ooh" { \voiceTwo f4~\p | f4. }

      % Swap the following two lines and see what happens:
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" \lyricmode { heart. }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "ooh" \lyricmode { Ooo }
      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = #"sopranos" }
        \lyricsto "solo" \lyricmode { Yet what }

    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "alto" {
        \relative c' { f2. c4~ | c }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "alto" \lyricmode {
        heart. Ooo
      }

  \layout { \context { \Staff \remove Time_signature_engraver } }

Tyler