Re: Bounds of this piece aren't breakable

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Bounds of this piece aren't breakable
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 01:12:39 -0800

On 2019-01-13 11:50 pm, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Without wanting to sound like whining, I can hardly say this error message is helpful. No line number or context given as far as I can see. Running
lilypond with the verbose option gives nothing further.

This is just an oversight. The function `programming_error` does accept a string that specifies the location where the error occurred. However, there are number of places where only the description of the error is provided. A good refactoring across the LilyPond code case would be to define a common macro that automatically fills in the location based on the filename and line number. That would at the very least ensure consistent error reports.

Is anybody able to give me even the tiniest clue here? I cannot provide a MWE at this time because I don't know how to isolate this in my large score.

Searching the code (from version 2.19.82) reveals this error comes from spanner.cc:104. As such, I would examine any spanners (or spanner-like things) that you have recently added, to see if you can track down the one causing the problem.

-- Aaron Hill