Re: vars and multiple scores

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: vars and multiple scores
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 10:57:46 -0800

On 2019-01-14 10:34 am, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
Another think is about transposing. In the example I had before I have
the cords "a:m g a:m g c g d:m a" But with a->e, the d:m gets
transposed to a:m but the song only works with a c here.

I do not know transposing very well, so, is that just a wrong chord in
the original or is there any trick to get the c from the d:m? If I look
at the Circle of fifths, I just think, the first assumption is right.

Well, no amount of transposing will make a minor chord into a major. However, one is able to play minors against majors (and vice versa), but that technically changes the effective chord. For instance, an E minor played on top of a C major results in a C major seventh. This would be skin to saying an E minor with a C root.

Perhaps the original music wrote D minor but meant F major with a D root, which is really a D minor seventh. Transposing that chord a fifth results in a C major with an A root, or an A minor seventh. Is that what you are after?

-- Aaron Hill