Re: Scheme function returning \book

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Scheme function returning \book
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:33:27 -0800

On 2019-01-15 4:11 pm, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi David,

Does anybody have an idea what is supposed to distinguish
a book from a bookpart outside of actual

\book {
 \bookpart { ... } }

usage?

You can’t have multiple book parts in a single output file?
That’s the way I understand it.

Is that so?

I thought it was that each book generates its own output unit. A book can contain any number of scores, but does not need to contain any book parts. Scores are then optionally organized into book parts if desired. Multiple scores in a book part can exist on the same page, however each book part starts its own page.

(A book without any book parts stores the scores within itself. Once a book part is explicitly added to the book, any "loose" scores are moved to the book part. At least, that's what the code seems to say.)

---

Going back to the original function posted, if the output is meant to be a book that is more-or-less immutable and ready for printing, one could just do the following instead:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

test = #(define-void-function (suffix) (string?)
  (print-book-with-defaults #{
    \book {
      \bookOutputSuffix #suffix
      \score { d4 }
    } #}))

\test "surname"
%%%%

Am I missing a subtlety that the original function is trying to address?

-- Aaron Hill