Re: Trouble defining markup functiion

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Trouble defining markup functiion
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 16:02:30 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to define a markup function for establishing a common set of
> formatting for a number of text markups.
>
> %%% beginning of sample code
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> \displayScheme
> \markup{\sans{\fontsize #10 "C"}}  % Just used to show the scheme markup
> command -- this is what I'm trying
>
> #(define-markup-command  (chord-name-markup layout props chord-name) (markup?)
>    "Display a chord name in the desired formatting"
>    (interpret-markup layout props
>      (make-line-markup (#:sans (#:fontsize 10 chord-name)))))
>

> \markup \chord-name-markup "E"
>
> %%% end of code
>
> I've used displayScheme to get the representation of the markup
> function.  I've found that is uses #:line so that I have to use
> make-line-markup.

#:sans is garbage outside of the markup macro.  Also make-line-markup
requires a list as its argument.

Your original
\markup{\sans{\fontsize #10 "C"}}

contains two levels of spurious braces.  Those generate spurious markup
lists causing LilyPond to intersperse a \line call for converting back
to a single markup.

Any reason you don't use #{ \markup ... #} for constructing your markup?
That way you don't need to replace LilyPond's expertise for constructing
markups with your own.

--
David Kastrup