Re: select a note in a chord

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: select a note in a chord
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:01:30 +0000

On 2/2/19, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> What you flatteringly call "my" thought would additionally maintain
> "circular" order of the pitches, basically rotating pitches and then
> octavating as needed to make sure that later pitches don't end up before
> earlier pitches.

Yep. That would be a great idea… now that you mention it :-)

> Maybe the cleanest in a musical sense would be if an "inversion" split
> the set of pitches into two, the ones preceding the inversion point and
> the ones afterwards and then raise the octaves of the preceding pitches
> en bloc such that the first inverted pitch becomes higher than the last
> non-inverted pitch.

That’s more or less what I have in mind. Now I have to devise a
somehow not-entirely-ugly implementation, which is where it gets
unnatural to me.

> That would not be exactly like repeated application of \raiseNote (which
> could in theory end up "flattening" more than one interval happening to
> be larger than an octave)

Indeed. Flattened intervals are the antithesis of what we’re looking
for here (if anything, interesting voicings come down to doing the
opposite: injecting larger-than-octave intervals inside clustered
chords primarily consisting of many seconds and thirds).

Cheers,
V.