Custom upbow and downbow markings

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Custom upbow and downbow markings
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 00:34:50 +1100

For my work, the default upbow and downbow markings are OK, and standard, yes I know, but we want something more along the gutsier style of Boosey & Hawkes, as for example in the Bartok String Quartet 3, image attached. The upbow is much more masculine, and italicized compared to the spindly thin lilypond.

What is the way to go about making my own substitutes? Do I use markup paths, similar to what Urs was asking some time ago here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-09/msg00465.html

Or has this problem already been solved somewhere?

Andrew