Y-offset of dynamic text after break

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Y-offset of dynamic text after break
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 14:07:04 -0700

Hi, everyone.  I have a question for you, more than a need for a solution.  It involves tweaking the Y-offset of a dynamic text after a break.  Here is some code to illustrate what I mean:

%%%
\version "2.24.2"

rh = \relative {
  c'4 4 4 4 |
  f,4 4 4 4 |
  f'4 4 4 4 |
}

lh = \relative {
  \clef bass
  c'4 4 4 4 |
  g'4 4 4 4 |
  g,4 4 4 4 |
}

dyn = {
  s1\f | \break
  s1 |
  s1-\tweak Y-offset -2 \p % Y-offset is not effective with break
}

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff \rh
  \new Dynamics \dyn
  \new Staff \lh

%%%

In this snippet, if you remove the break, you can control the piano marking's Y-offset with a tweak.  But with the break in place, the p floats to the bottom of the treble staff and does not respond to tweaking the Y-offset.  I can use extra-offset to move the p, but I'm curious about what is going on.  Does someone have the time to explain this to me?

Thanks as always.

--
Knute Snortum